Saturday, January 26, 2013

Balance

This week I'll be doing something a little different from what I'm use to or even my normal travel adventures. I would consider myself a bit of a party'er. Nothing too crazy at least not anymore. But as most who know me, I like to enjoy beer :) And I definitely have or plan to party during my travels (I already have done some here in Australia and plan to in Thailand). But I'm all about balance and experiencing all sides.

So this week I'll be volunteering at a Kadampa Buddhist Center. Its just outside Melbourne. I'm not entirely sure what work I'll be doing but it sounds like outside yard, lawn work. And in exchange I get free accommodation and meals. Work is Mon-Fri 9am-4:30pm with a hour lunch break. I'm free to attend meditation classes outside work and Saturday they have some special retreat I'm free to participate in.
I must follow their rules: no lying, stealing or killing of any creature. And also no tv or music.
I'm not quite sure what to expect. The work should be simple enough. It'll be interesting to see how the monks live. Ideally I would be in Tibet doing this but that's not really feasible so this will have to do :)

I'll write up a post report next weekend with the experience. And in true American fashion, I'm glad it'll be over with before the Superbowl lol (which is Monday morning here in Melbourne)

4 comments:

  1. Cant wait to hear about it! Stay safe Gabe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Buddhist Center sounds great! :) Have a wonderful time- take advantage of the meditation sessions. Keep blogging and posting pics! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Use the Force, Gabe! Sounds like a cool experience but no lying? I wouldn't last an hour in that place haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. cant wait to hear more Gabe!! be safe and party some for me ;)

    ReplyDelete